Board index Experiences Introduction!

Introduction!

Post your adventures here.

Did you do any spectacular tricks? Special remarks by people who saw you riding an electric unicyle?

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Model: Q5
Manufacturer: Airwheel
I am expecting my Airwheel Q5 to be delivered later this week. Once I get used to riding it, I plan to use it as a shuttle to get me to 2 car dealerships that I do paint/body work for. Just drop the Q5 in the floorboard and drive to deliver, then ride the Q5 back {or visa versa}.

I am thinking my first mod will be to attach an extended handle to the units top, like a one wheeled Segway. This should help me get onto the unit, and help with riding it by tilting the unit with the handle rather than my foot. I have a nice aluminum cand with adjustable length that may be just perfect for the duty, but I do have to figure out the attachment. That may be a pipe hanger from the hardware store, some form of strap to hold it to the unit, and an expansion bolt to connect the cane to the pipe hanger. But, I will wait until I have the Q5 in my hands and have a good look at it!

The 2 dealers are about 3/4 and 1.5 miles away. I often walk back to my shop from the closest one, and take the customer shuttle from the farther one {sometimes waiting quite a while}, so I figure the Q5 will sa.e me some time, and wear/etar on a foot and knee I'm having problems with!

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 pm
MvM

Model: Solowheel
Manufacturer: Inventist
User Location: Rotterdam
I would FIRST get the unicycle you want and learn how to ride it.

I think there will be a good chance that once you have done that, you will find that attaching a handle to it will actually make riding it MUCH MORE difficult than without it.
Trust me, the way the electric unicycle works makes a long handle totally unnecessary and will make riding it more dangerous.

Also, the Airwheels I rode were very 'stiff', meaning that the wheel will respond to very slight movements. Attaching a long pole to initiate riding it would probably result in overreaction because your movements will be way too big for the Airwheel to handle.

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:40 am

Definitely learn to ride first!

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:21 am

After three wobbly start get-offs, I gave it a quick exam and found the culprit; low tire pressure, 20psi.
Tire is marked at 35psi with a 45psi max. I brought the tire pressures up to 40 and tried again...

Instant success! I think I will take them up to 45 for more test rides tomorrow.

I like the dual wheel for overall stability, but acknowledge there must be a cost in turning. Fine by me, I like the stability and know that there is no way I could have take off so quickly on a single wheel.

I am having difficulty getting on board, having to use a mailbox or whatever to help get on. I am also going to add skateboard grip tape to the floorboards to increase traction. Still thinking a handle of some sort will be added to help get on board and going.

I can go forward, make turns comfortably on a 2 lane road, and can slow down to a halt and a quick jump/split dismount.

Lots of stares from the neighborhood!

Return to Experiences