Board index Experiences Do you fall off sometimes?

Do you fall off sometimes?

Post your adventures here.

Did you do any spectacular tricks? Special remarks by people who saw you riding an electric unicyle?

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Model: Solowheel
Manufacturer: Inventist
User Location: Erlangen
From the videos I watched, some people will turn around after you, some don't even seem to notice. But even when you're quite experienced, I can imagine there's sometimes situations when you lose control and fall off of the Solowheel - does that happen to you? In that event, I can imagine that everybody around would notice it and maybe think "hell, what's that a dangerous thing" or "look how he can't handle that strange device". What are your experiences with that?

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:23 pm

A fall off forward would be extremely rare. Occassionally you can get "bounced off" on a bump or driveway/sidewalk cut out that is higher than it looks. Then you just land on your feet and the Wheel falls over and shuts off. You have the same embarrassment that you would if you tripped a bit while walking on a sidewalk. I wear roller blading wrist guards and elbow guards most of the time if I'm out for a long ride, so people tend to react to me the same as they would to a roller blader. In pedestrian traffic you have much better control of speed than a roller blader, but folks do not think that you do and show concern if you, for example, are heading towards kids in your path. The Wheel is much more manuverable than people expect, both in speed and in getting around people and objects, so you often leave observers very surprised. Comments are overwhelmingly positive from folks you pass by, assuming you are not being a non-courteous jerk.
Legally, in the USA, I think we are treated as a bike, which means use streets not sidewalks. It basically is an electric bike (unicycle). In reality, we are in the ambiguous region that roller bladers are in -- street or sidewalk? In suburbs, I'll use the street, in other areas the sidewalk makes more sense. As long as you are not being an idiot, officials do not seem to care. Most bike paths preclude motorized vehicles, but in reality no problem -- the motor is virtually silent and you get treated like a roller blader or skateboarder.

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:09 am
MvM

User Location: Rotterdam
I only really fell down (body on the floor/road) on the first night when I had just received my Solowheel.

During the next week, I had to step off and catch the Solowheel using the practice band, but I did not fell down.
Just this week, on two occassions on way day, I all of sudded lost control for no apparent reason, and had to step/jump off with the Solowheel falling down.

So, really falling down seems to be very rare. Unlike a bike, your are just standing on it. With a bike (especially the male model), the bike is literally between your legs. Falling down with a bike usually means that the steering wheel turns something like 90 degress and you fall down and you have to catch yourself on your hands. With the Solowheel I don't see that happening, you just jump off the pedals.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:47 pm

User Location: Tacoma Washington USA
It had been along time since I had fallen off my solowheel until last week. I was commenting home from the office and was distracted by some traffic and was cruising at about 9.5 mph. The SW hit a small dip/depression/hole in the asphalt and that caused it to suddenly stop. Since I was distracted i wasn't prepared for it and feet stayed on the SW and the rest of me kept right on going.

I was able to get one foot under me before i hit the pavement and gravel shoulder so that slowed my fall somewhat, but I still ended up with some pretty good road rash on my hands and one leg. Completely tore up my dress pants in the process.

Of course the first thing I did was too look around really quick to see how many folks saw my graceful move. I then jumped back on the SW and continued home to try and repair the damage to my body. After a week I am mostly healed up and will be more careful. It seem now that the only times i have any issues are if i do hit an unseen small dip in the surface i am traveling on. If I am prepared for it it isn't a problem, but if am not it can be an issue.

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:48 am

Me to I fall down from the same reason now with airwheel..and I saw that hole in asphalt buti didn't pay to much attention...big mistake cause I fall down and I put my hands down and I feel pain almost all the day..we need more attention to be prepared...
but I can controll in any situation, even at very slow speed when is to many peoples arround :)

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:32 pm
MvM

The last time I forcefully had to jump of my Solowheel was when I was trying to see how high a curb I can take with the Solowheel.
And of course, at one point you come across one that is simply too high.
But that was on purpose.

I do sometimes have moments that I feel the Solowheel tries to run from under me. Usually this happens when you are driving fast and you run over a bump in the road. It then feels like the Solowheel cannot fully adjust itself. It is a feeling like you are almost tipping backwards.
I have the same sometimes when I am slowing down fast to take a small bump or curb and you are still leaning back somewhat at the moment you actually hit the curb.
At that point, you feel yourself tilting back and have to respond quick to avoid falling down. So far, I have been lucky and it hasn't happened yet though :)

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 am

User Location: Seattle 98107
In the ~12 hours I've spent on my Solowheel since I removed the practice strap, I've only had two proper falls, though I've had to bail (jump off pre-emptively without falling) a couple of dozen times. The first fall was when I was trying to ride it down a steep hill shortly after recharging it. When the anti-overcharge system kicks in, the thing shakes briefly and then slowly starts to slip out from under you. I was able to bail/fall without hurting myself. The other one was due to my trying to take a really tight u-turn on a downward-sloping walkway...while showing off at a party, after a couple of beers. I rolled into the fall and came away with a few scratches and small bruises.

The main things that cause me to have to bail are unexpected bumps and failed tight turns or sudden stops. What's important is to keep your legs loose and ready for bumps, keep your eyes tracking the terrain ahead, keep the wheel firmly pinned between your shins/calves if things look sketchy, and slow down as you approach areas where you might run into someone or something - intersections, blind corners, etc. Don't ride it through dense crowds, and if you have to ride it in close proximity to people, roll at a walking pace and give people lots of clearance.

In any case, if I have to bail, and there are witnesses present, I just laugh it off and explain that I'm still getting the hang of it.

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:47 am
MvM

However unfortunate, it happened to me last Saturday.
I had already done some shopping in town on my Solowheel, buying some clothes and went and out to do another errand.
Came around a corner near my home, leaned a bit forward against the wind and suddenly I was flat on my face. I am still not sure how it exactly happened, it was a bit windy and perhaps I was already going faster than I thought.

Nevertheless, it was very discomforting and a big blow to my self esteem.

The endresult? Two stitches in my chin and a very stiff left elbow and arm. Am carrying my arm in a sling right now and it looks like this will take at least a couple of weeks. They people at the hospital could not say definately if something was broken, but it sure hurts when I move or twist my arm.
In about 920 km of driving my Solowheel, I had only fallen twice before. Once was on the very first night while learning how to use it and the second time was when I was trying to see how high a curb I could get on.

This time, it came as a big surprise which is probably why it happened.
Perhaps I was getting a little too casual riding the SW :(

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:56 am

User Location: Erlangen
That reminds me a bit of my last fall. I was still practicing in our garage backyard. Riding very slowly around some poles. When I was through I had to 1. go straight ahead after the curve and 2. get some speed again. Both actions simultaneously were too much for me to coordinate and I leaned too far to the front, falling over. Leaning forward/backward and putting your feet at the right angle (which is what the wheel actually wants to know) hadn't matched then. At least that's what I remembered of it. Fortunately it hasn't happened again but I'm only at around 200 km now...

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:40 am
MvM

LonelyPixel wrote:
That reminds me a bit of my last fall. I was still practicing in our garage backyard. Riding very slowly around some poles. When I was through I had to 1. go straight ahead after the curve and 2. get some speed again. Both actions simultaneously were too much for me to coordinate and I leaned too far to the front, falling over. Leaning forward/backward and putting your feet at the right angle (which is what the wheel actually wants to know) hadn't matched then. At least that's what I remembered of it. Fortunately it hasn't happened again but I'm only at around 200 km now...

I know what you mean.
Actually, I am still not sure WHY it happened. In my recollection, I was not leaning forward any further than I usually do. It was also the first time that I fell forward.
After almost three months of use with days of up to 25 km, I feel very comfortable riding the Solowheel. I have driven it on all kinds of surfaces, in gusting winds, in pouring rain, with shopping bags etc. Off- on on-ramps, low curbs, speed curbs, grass, uneven sidewalks, tight turns,, I have no problems doing that at all.

And then you fall (hard) on a nice piece of road which normaly should not have been a problem....
Very annoying..

Next

Return to Experiences