Board index Experiences Learning the Solowheel

Learning the Solowheel

Post your adventures here.

Did you do any spectacular tricks? Special remarks by people who saw you riding an electric unicyle?

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Model: Q5
Manufacturer: Airwheel
Here are my tips for learning. I have them not only from my own personal experience, but in showing others how to ride my Airwheel Q5.

Stand up straight, locked knees.

Steer by tilting the unit using your hips, not your knees. This is good for most riding, but bent knees steering does come into play at slow speed tight turning.

Look ahead, not down. Identify any possible surface obstacles at a distance and steer accordingly.

When getting on for the first time, stand up straight and relax. Use whatever help you need to stay up, look ahead and learn to stand up straight and stay still with whatever help you need. Once you have that, use your ankles to start the EU moving forward and backward 6 to 12 inches from the still position. Get comfortable with swing back and forth. This will help you understand how the machine applies power.

As you become more comfortable with the swinging back and forth, start using a lighter and lighter touch on whatever you are stabilizing yourself with, depending more and more on you own balance on the EU.

The initial take off is the most unstable point. It is just like riding a bicycle, the slowest speeds are the most difficult; once you get going, everything smooths out.

To take off, do the swing back and forth, get comfortable, countdown from 3 and go!

How to mount the EU! Placing all your weight on the first foot is wrong. You will end up with bruised calves and failed mounts. Think of the pedal you put your first foot on as a flimsy paper cup. Think of jumping into the air a few inches using your second foot WITHOUT CRUSHING THE PAPER CUP. With your first foot close to the body of the machine and your calf lined up with the middle of the machine, loft your body weight into the air with the second foot, while keeping the first foot at the same light weight. Slide the second foot onto the pedal, and regain balance, evening out the weight to each foot.

Check the air pressure in the tire. Mine came with 20psi, while the tires were rated at 36psi. Too soft a tire makes a mushy and unstable ride.

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:59 pm

Model: ?????
Manufacturer: ?????
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and advice. I'm about 12 days in now, and having a "painfully fun" time. My left ankle is all bashed up from trying to jump on and hitting the foot stand. OW!

I am now riding a straight line fairly well, and I can steer a little bit. I was so proud of myself yesterday when I made 2 complete circles of about a 20 foot diameter.

However, I've encountered something new. Maybe it's just me. When I make a "U" turn of about a 10 foot radius or less, it seems almost impossible to gain speed again. Almost every time I make a U turn, it just seems there is no way to lean forward far enough to get up any speed. I kind of hope it's me, and not a problem with my Solowheel.

Can anyone comment, please?

By the way, thanks for the note about air pressure...much easier to turn now.

- zunkman

Post Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:31 am

Model: Q5
Manufacturer: Airwheel
My guess is while you are turning, you are counterweighting the foot boards.

That is, your inside foot is probably leaning forward while your outside foot is leaning backwards. Probably with well bent knees.

Work on bending the knees less, and making a decided tilt forward with the inside foot while trying to keep the outside foot more neutral.

Post Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:33 am

jtborg wrote:
First don't use the strap.
when you push off the wall, lean forward, start twisting your waist left and right.

Also you your arm to balance until you it going.

It took me two week to get it.

Good luck.
James

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Not using the strap definitely helped out. Felt like I was being controlled and not controlling the uni so once I freed myself from it, things went more smooth. Cheers!

Previous

Return to Experiences