Board index Experiences Learning the Solowheel

Learning the Solowheel

Post your adventures here.

Did you do any spectacular tricks? Special remarks by people who saw you riding an electric unicyle?

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:16 am

I have had the worst time trying to get the hang of this thing. I am starting to get it but only after I had someone watch me and give me input. NOT something you should do on your own. Just my experience. I wondered if anyone else had trouble learning?

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Model: Solowheel
Manufacturer: Inventist Inc.
User Location: Windisch Switzerland
Hello Jan

I got started on the Solowheel all by myself...
Getting started video
... and later went to a empty garage for more practise.

Soon after I started to commute 4x 1.8km every day.

What does not yet work for me : After a few minutes on the wheel my legs start wobbling - probably I'm too cramped up, can't just stand up relaxed, so for my ~10min ride I have to take one or two breaks of at least five minutes - not very efficient (yet?)

Probably it also has to do with where and how I position my feet on the wheel.
When I have my feet more at the back I feel like I have more control, but I have to ride with my knees bent which takes a lot of upper leg muscles after a short time.
When I place my feet more up front and also with the toes turned outwards I feel more comfortable, but there's much less control...

I have not had anybody to give me advice, but I guess I don't look very elegant on that wheel, but rather tense and at times struggling for balance in the turns.

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:08 pm

Manufacturer: Inventist
User Location: London UK
I found it fatiguing too at first, but now ride with most weight on one leg, leaning the wheel slightly, using the light leg to steer and maintain balance. It works best against a camber, but is ok on a flat surface too, and means you can switch weight from one leg to the other. Just did my first commute today, around 2 miles each way, and while the bumpy bits of pavement (sidewalk) keep me on my toes, it wasn't too bad, and I beat the bus both ways!

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:20 am

It is coming along. I find going downhill is pretty easy. I will work more on it. It is NOT effortless. One thing is to get some confidence. I was scared to death of impacting the pavement. The other is the strap. I actually pulled the SW out from under myself three times when my body went into auto pilot.

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Manufacturer: Inventist Inc.
User Location: Windisch Switzerland
I'm doing much better by now. My ride to work is now only just about 7mins and usually I ride with an average speed of 12km/h.

The way home is different and some times still stressful. I still have to figure out why that is...
My right leg still wants to be shakey at times, putting more weight on the left leg helps some times,
or put the weight on the toes on one foot and the heel on the other foot.

I recorded some video material with a GoPro camera - not sure if I should publish it - it's a bit long
unedited, and I don't have much time at hand to edit it...

I think I'll go ahead and publish and create a shorter version later...

You're going to find it on youtoube...

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:30 am

I will have to try the weight on one leg thing. I do think a spotter at first is quite a help. Today I went a couple of blocks in each direction. I am still scared of crashing but I can really feel the control coming along.

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi guys!
Let me show how i am learning to ride. I am using such a wheels, look at the picture below.

dsc00343fb[1].jpg
dsc00343fb[1].jpg (2.95 KiB) Viewed 10831 times

The main goal is this small wheels - it is small enough, and not touching the ground. But that wheels big enough to prevent falling down when you are trying to learning balancing technique.
I am can ride now in a straight direction almost without touching the ground. I am going to unscrew that small wheels next time and will try to ride without it.
By the way, all of my exercises was made on a first wheel battery recharge, i.e. within 2 hours period. The battery charge remains about 45-50% now, and i am must complete my learning on the rest of the charge.

Sergey

Post Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 pm

I have had my solowheel for about 2 weeks. I practice almost every day and still cannot go for more than 10 to 20 feet without falling off. Most of my practice has involved standing still and trying to balance. I can balance easily with 1 finger lightly touching a wall, but when I take my finger off the wall I can only balance for a couple of seconds. I can go for 3-5 seconds rocking back and forth. About the same amount of time that I can go forward or backwards before it tips too far to recover.

I read posts that people got the hang of it in a couple of hours. I have spent at least 10 hours, probably considerably more. I am on my 3rd charge, the first recharge was done before it was drained. The second one was at the low battery alarm.

I feel like I am only a tiny bit better on this then the first time I stepped on it. Am I doing something wrong. The videos make it look so easy. Also is it possible to stand still on it once you know how to balance? It seems like that is the hardest thing so, I figured if I could stand still on it, or balance rocking back and forth, then I should be confident riding it.

I also tried riding it using ski poles, I can go blocks using the ski poles, but am completely dependent on them. Just like the finger on the wall. I cannot go more than a few seconds without having to use a pole to keep from tipping over.

Please advise on better ways to learn how to really ride this. The training strap doesn't seem to help me balance at all, all it does is keep the solowheel from talking a beating when I step off to avoid falling.

How long did it take any of you to learn to ride this. By learn to ride, I mean able to go for blocks and able to make controlled turns without losing your balance. What technique did you use to learn to ride it?

Thanks

Post Fri May 31, 2013 4:50 pm

First don't use the strap.
when you push off the wall, lean forward, start twisting your waist left and right.

Also you your arm to balance until you it going.

It took me two week to get it.

Good luck.
James

Post Fri May 31, 2013 5:11 pm

This is how I got it.
First , if you feel that you are falling, don't lean your upper body, keep it straight, ( the reason you fall is that the upper body is leaning into the fall, watch the training video and you will see it. )
keep the lower legs loose to balance.

push off and lean forward, ( wall or no wall), start to twist your waist left and right a little to get the feeling.

When you get going, keep the upper body straight, but the lower body loose to balance, ( training video shows the lower body loose and wriggling with the ground when you are moving.)

Hope this help. :P
James.

Next

Return to Experiences