Board index Experiences Learning the Solowheel

Learning the Solowheel

Post your adventures here.

Did you do any spectacular tricks? Special remarks by people who saw you riding an electric unicyle?

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Model: IPS F400
Manufacturer: IPS

Hi friends,
Today I received my IPS131 from China. It was VERY WELL PACKED, inside a wooden box!! :shock: :shock:
Actually I'm charging the battery, it takes about 3 of 4 hours!! After that I'll try for the first time an electric unicycle!!
I'll probably break the wrist, ankle, some teeth or directly I have unconscious on the floor. Tonight, if I can, I write from the hospital.

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Well, I've finally released !! This afternoon I've been practicing with my IPS131. The result is two bruises on the shins, intense back pain and general exhaustion. I think to start is quite well, it could have been much worse.

I have practiced for an hour in an inner courtyard of the building which I live. At the end I was able to walk into the yard in some pretty decent shape. Although my way up both feet is disastrous, I need to be supported to a wall or railing.

At first I always went with twisted body, the most humiliating way to travel! Gradually I've been straightening my position to go straight, much more elegant and practical.

Luckily, I think any neighbor was watching me. Maybe I'm wrong and someone has videotaped me and at this very moment is dying of laughter :lol: :lol: :lol: with friends watching my progress (it is most probable)

Tomorrow more...

Post Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:32 am
MvM

Model: Solowheel
Manufacturer: Inventist
User Location: Rotterdam
Hi Woody,

Thanks for giving us an update on your progress.
I have found that the way people learn to use an electric unicycle is very different from person to person.

Some get it within a few hours of practice while others seem to struggle with it for weeks before finally becoming confident with it.
I don't know your model so I cannot comment on that.

I would suggest wearing an extra pair of long socks to protect your shins.
Also, you should ALWAYS try to stand up as straight as possible. Only your knees should be slightly bend when riding.
I have found the best way to learn the Solowheel is to find a nice even floor or area with a rail or wall next to it that you can use for support.
Using the the practice wheels that some brands offer will only lengthen the learning curve.

I firmly believe that anyone who can ride a bike can learn how to ride a Solowheel in about two evenings or afternoons of practice.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Well, thank you for your kind advise!
Today I've been trying again my new wheel until... I have suffered a fall that has left me left leg with a slight injury and worse, my wheel is damaged! After a coup has started to beep while on the power button the green light with the Red alternated. The annoying buzz did not stop and finally (half an hour later) I had to remove the wheel and disconnect the PCB power supply to stop the annoying beep.
I think the circuit printed we have broken, so far I have already written to China and I have asked for advice.
This happens to me by buy directly from China! Now I have not warranty and without service that resort!

I'll write again to explain my adventures...

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:05 am
MvM

Hi Woody,

I am very sorry to hear about your mishap.
I also fell on the very first evening when practising with the Solowheel. Had to step off after becoming unbalanced, but somehow stayed with one foot on the Solowheel, ending up with a twisted knee. That was in early June and it still bothers me sometimes.

It's very unfortunate that your IPS has been damaged.
Being able to get support was one of the reasons I bought the Solowheel from a local dealer. Now, after six months and about 1800 km , I don't know how many times the Solowheel has dropped on the ground. It's casing has lots of scratches and the underside of the pedals look even worse. Especially now with the cold and bad weather coming, riding through sometimes pretty deep pools of water on the street, the Solowheel takes quite a beating. So far however, it has never let me down (luckily).

Good luck with getting a new PCB-board for your wheel!!

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi again,
This morning I've received a kind answer from China:

"...I am so sorry for the inconvenience caused, I can't say any words to express my mood, unbelievable! I haven't met this situation. Any way, it is our fault.

In order to find the problem, please make a video of this phenomenon and send it to me, I will let our technician to see the video and see what problem caused,
and please also send me the wheel hub motor number of your unicycle.

we offer one year warranty for control board, charger and motor, half year for battery.

Thanks and Waiting for your reply.

Best Regards..."

Today I'll record on video the problem and I'll send it to China. I think that all this inconvenience will take enough days to be recovered and ride again.

All the best!

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:42 pm
MvM

Hi Woody,

Glad to hear your supplier responds so quickly. As long as they are taking your problem serious I am sure you will get it figured out.
Don't know what the video might tell them, but at least they are willing to work on the problem.

Good luck :D

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:04 am

Model: ?????
Manufacturer: ?????
Hi everyone!

By way of introduction, I am zunkman, living near Pittsburgh Pennsylvania in the good ole' USA.

I recently purchased a SUPOW from Amazon. It was shipped from Hong Kong. I really don't see a model number, or even a name. The instruction manual is in pure Chinese. So I won't be getting any help from the manual. And so, I found all of you. I have been reading through the forums and have found many, many (MANY) useful tips on how to get along on a Solowheel.

I am now in my 6th day. Monday through Friday, I practiced 2 sessions after work about 15 minutes each. Saturday and Today, I did 3 sessions about 20 minutes each. Yesterday, I learned to go straight for about 30-40 feet. Today, I can throw in a few "large-radius" turns. I still am VERY challenged by getting on the Solowheel, I usually use a wall to assist in boarding. But, I figure that there's no use getting on if you're just going to fall off anyway, so my plan is to learn to ride first, THEN plan to learn to get on with no assistance.

Does this sound like a "normal" learning curve for the Solowheel?

When I first bought it, I though it would be really easy. When I first rode it, I thought I would never be able to do it. I had plans to "train" for a week and then take off. Well, that just isn't going to happen.

I'm thrilled that I found this forum, and happy to be able to talk to others who are enjoying the same fun that I am.

- zunkman

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:26 pm
MvM

hi Zunkman,

Your experiences seem to be pretty normal. It depends very much on how much experience you have.
I have had people who wanted to try my Solowheel on the street and were able to ride it for 30 feet after 5 minutes of trying.
It took me about two hours to get the hang of it and ride around a large parking garage unsupported.
Getting on and making turns however was very difficult. That took me a couple of days longer.
Riding over uneven ground or cobblestones or up and down ramps take a bit longer still.

Just keep practising and you will manage. It just like learning how to ride a bicycle, it just takes practice.

Today it was very stormy weather on my ride to work, with winds around Beaufort strength 7. Now, all I had to do was bent my knees, tuck my arms in, lean into the wind and just ride on (slowly).
Six months ago, I would have become unbalanced and forced to dismount.

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:24 pm

@zunkman
Someone here suggested to keep the training strap hooked to waist belt instead of holding to it. I followed that good advice and learning improved dramatically. I'm still learning with training wheels but I should be able to get rid of them next time. One step at a time. Don't give up.

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences