Board index Experiences Searching for Solowheel users

Searching for Solowheel users

Post your adventures here.

Did you do any spectacular tricks? Special remarks by people who saw you riding an electric unicyle?

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:44 am

Hello !

I am a journalist, and I am writing an article about the Solowheel. I have tried it, but I would like to had some review from regulars users. So I was wondering if you would like to give me feedbacks about your own experience. Like :
- when and how do you use your Solowheel ? (ex. : to go to work each morning)
- why do you choose a Solowheel ?
- How long did you practice before riding easily ?
- what do you like ?
- what do you dislike ?

Thanks for your help !

romain

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:34 am

Model: Solowheel
Manufacturer: Inventist
User Location: Erlangen
Hello romain,

I've only got mine for a few months now, with a month break to spare my knee after a fall. Funny I fell while practicing tight turns at very low speed in our driveway... Here are my impressions so far:

- when and how do you use your Solowheel ?

Not very often for now. Winter isn't the best time because it's cold (you're standing upright in the wind and won't do much work while riding it), sometimes icy (not good for Solowheels and bicycles), and often dark (there's no integrated lighting solution and on the Solowheel you really need to know about bumps and holes on your way). But I've used it to go to evening events or short trips through town. Want to go to work and small shopping with it. Considering to go to the post office to fetch a parcel today.

It's excitingly new and hopefully practical. :-) I'm always interested in new technology...

1 hour to go straight ahead (could have been earlier though), 2 hours to hop on freely and do wide turns, 3 hours for tighter turns, a few more hours to become somewhat confident with bumps and curbs. I'd suggest you to limit each session to 15-30 minutes in the beginning to avoid aching legs. Later it's no problem to ride for an hour.

- what do you like ?

It's relatively small, you can take it in every car or bus. You're faster than by foot but without much of the overhead of a bicycle.

- what do you dislike ?

It really does 16 km/h, which is a bit slower than most bicyclists. I think it could be a bit faster. And I didn't test the maximum distance on battery yet, but once it felt like it's close to empty after 7 km. Need to try it. And of course you cannot truly like the price...

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:04 pm

I wanted to chime in about distance.

LonelyPixel is guessing he only gets about 7 km range before the battery is done. I've had mine for a week now and I'm pretty much done with training. I took it out to run errands and was surprised how soon the battery was done. Because of the weaving path I took, I wasn't sure about distance so I recharged it and took another path which was more easily measurable. Also, on this trip intended to measure the battery for distance, I drove less aggressively. I made it to about 8.6 km. This is very concerning because twice that distance was advertised to me.

I love riding it but I'm not sure I still want it for the cost if it only gives me half the distance I was told before buying it. I am at the maximum weight limit and I carry a backpack of items which takes me over the limit, but still, I would expect performance to drop by maybe 10% - 20%; not 50%!

I've written in to Inventist asking what they think. Do I need to lose more weight to get the advertised performance or do I have a bad battery and need to send Solowheel back for a replacement? I'm anxiously waiting for that reply.

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:50 pm

User Location: Erlangen
I've meanwhile done one range test, riding over paved ways through town, an everyday situation. According to my GPS track, I made 9.7 km before it started to shake me off. The average speed was normal until the end, so if it feels like it's getting slower and the LED is constantly orange, it doesn't mean that you'll have to carry it in a few metres. I only found that the LED was red while standing still, and I could make another 150 metres or so. There were no hills on my way, it was around 5 °C and my total weight is around 75 kg. Didn't do another test since then. Overall, I think it's sufficient for my small town, but I always need to plan ahead.

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:04 am

User Location: Tacoma Washington USA
I'd be curious to know if Mkuraja ever heard back from Inventist on the battery issue?

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:50 pm
MvM

User Location: Rotterdam
A bit late reply perhaps, but I thought I might as well reply.

I have had my Solowheel for less than two weeks, but I have travelled almost a 100 km with it.
So far, mostly for practise and having a lot of fun. Which it absolutely is if I might add.

And since this week, I am also using it for practical purposes.
Where I work, in the centre of town, I have to pay for parking. Now, I can park my car in the area where parking is free and travel the last 3km to work with the Solowheel.
This so far has worked excellent. It takes me about 11-12 minutes to cover the distance. It saves me perhaps 5 minutes in driving, so it costs takes about 7 minutes more to get to work. This I find reasonable for saving about 15 Euros every day in parking fees.
Also, I also use the Solowheel for appointments in town where the car is incoventient. It makes little sense to take your car for a distance of up to 5 km, then search for a (paid) place to park and then still have to walk up to 300 meters to get where you really need to be.

As for distances covered on one charges, I have emptied the Solowheel from a full charge several times now and I get somewhere between 12-14 km on a full charge.

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:01 pm

Model: 1000W
Manufacturer: Solowheel
User Location: San Francisco CA USA
- when and how do you use your Solowheel ? (ex. : to go to work each morning)

Every day! I ride to work and back (actually to the train (Bart)). I also ride it around town in the evening.

I saw someone riding one and I just knew I had to have it.

20 - 30 minutes.

- what do you like ?

Elegance. Simplicity. Size. Feeling like skiing on concrete. Awesomeness.

- what do you dislike ?

Speed limiter. I'd love it go to 15 mph. (Anyone know if its possible to mod it?)
Noisy charger.
Could be improved by making it lighter.

Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:04 am

I have an IPS 101.
I have experienced very good service from Wheelgo, the importers.
It took me a while to manage, but there again I am only a few months off being 80! So if I can manage it then anyone can. I am also a golfer, this helps (why oh why can that be, I imagine you will be saying). The reason is Because as soon as I realised that a couple of upturned golf clubs transformed my learning curve as I just used them as "ski poles". Makes mounting the wheel a doddle. I fixed some 2'' foam pads to the sides, thick enough to keep my ankle bones away trom rubbing against the chassis. Also stuck a couple of self adhesive non slip bath discs on to the footplates to stop my leather soles from slipping off.
Another revelation was when I gave up trying to go straight. Much easier to deliberately zig zag. Then after a while going straight become easier.

All confidence inspiring.

Return to Experiences