Board index Experiences Riding in the wet/rain

Riding in the wet/rain

Post your adventures here.

Did you do any spectacular tricks? Special remarks by people who saw you riding an electric unicyle?

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:04 am
MvM

Model: Solowheel
Manufacturer: Inventist
User Location: Rotterdam
On of the things I use my Solowheel for is getting to work.
That is, I drive the main part by car, then park it outside the paid parking zone and then use the Solowheel to travel the last three km to work. This takes me on average about 12 minutes extra.

Today, it started raining slightly on my way to work.
This was the second time this happened.

My experience is that the footpedals of the Solowheel can be rather slippery when they get wet, especially if your shoes are wet as well.

I was wondering how other uses cope with this. Did you put same abrassive kind of tape on your pedals?
Or do you just not use the Solowheel when it is wet outside?

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:03 pm

One of my worst falls was after I stepped off my solowheel to walk it over a curb and some wet grass. Shortly after hopping back on, my wet foot slipped right off the pedal and down I went. Skinned elbow and a few bruises, but now I know to wipe my feet dry before stepping back on..

Maybe some skateboard grip-tape is in order?

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:47 pm
MvM

Solowheeling wrote:
One of my worst falls was after I stepped off my solowheel to walk it over a curb and some wet grass. Shortly after hopping back on, my wet foot slipped right off the pedal and down I went. Skinned elbow and a few bruises, but now I know to wipe my feet dry before stepping back on..

Maybe some skateboard grip-tape is in order?

I have driven in the rain with the Solowheel and I have more or less the same experience.
That is, the foot pedals get VERY slippery when wet (didn't fell down though, but was very careful).

Have been thinking about that skateboard stuff as well, but will have to try how well it will stick to the pedals with all those serrations...

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Model: X5 Marsrover
Manufacturer: AirWheel
I apply non-skid tape that I bought from hard ware shop locally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRMFHBn ... ByFRA1UAVP

The tape doesn't stick very well and may come loose over time, it's best to clean the pedals before applying the non-skid tape :D

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:15 pm
MvM

About two month ago I went to a skateboard shop and purchased a big skateboard Monster Grip piece of antislip tape.
Was actually very cheap, about 5 Euros.
Just cut the strip you need and put it on. It does indeed not stick very well, after about a week, it gets twisted off the pedal. Just shows how much you are working the pedals with your feet while Soloriding :)
However, one of these pieces is enough for about 20 replacements, so it is well worth the money.

And it does give you a lot more grip on the pedals when it's raining.

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:14 am

Model: Xtreme
Manufacturer: solowheel
I live in Seattle and I had no problem in rain or water until I changed to fall and winter shoes. the deck/boat shoes i used during the summer stuck like glue to the pads. Try boat shoes.

Return to Experiences